03 May 2016

Barry Goldwater, father to Donald Trump?

This political season is driving me nuts. I cannot help but read every word of every news piece on the subject, and watch television programs I have not watched in years, and will not watch again after November 9, 2016 until January 2020.

I confess, I never learn anything very startling in all this attention to newspapers and tv. Nothing original. The media all sing the same tune: "Trump has no chance", then "the mood will change" and finally, ''oops, Trump will win the nomination.''  I did love the Mitt Romney attack speech.  Mitt Romney, leading with strength. Hah. What were they thinking?

The Trump candidacy produces inevitable references to the Goldwater-Johnson contest of 1964. I remember that race, remember the classic anti-Goldwater tv ad of the little girl counting down as she pulled petals from a daisy, and when she finished the countdown, a nuclear explosion filled the screen. One of the most powerful tv ads ever.

Last night, I saw another 1964 ad attacking Barry Goldwater that I do not remember seeing before. It gave me goosebumps because of its parallel to Donald Trump's candidacy today. Extraordinary.

In case you have not seen it, here it is:  Caveat: this in not a thirty-second ad, but runs for four minutes, so don't watch it on the fly. Save it for when you can savor it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8gJxifPRhM


 My tech skills are improving. This time the link works. Guaranteed.

(Btw, the actor in the tv commercial is still around. Says every word is true--says he got paid, but insisted on saying only what he believed.) 

Fascinating stuff. Don't miss it.

A bientot.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home